It is time to begin winterizing in Dallas and Fort Worth. We all know the temperatures can be cold one day and back to 80° in less than 24 hours. Here are a few reminders from Charlie to help keep you warm and protect your house:
Keeping it Warm Inside
- Check your door frames for any air gaps. A new door sweep and weather stripping can be easy to install and will help keep the cold air out. You can even make a draft preventer with an old beach towel twirled up at the base of the door.
- Air handler filters also need to be changed just as frequent during the cold months as the summer. Also, try turning on your heater and testing before you really need it. If you get a small burning smell for a short period of time it is fine. You will need to call a professional (Enoch Electric, Water, & Air) if the smell continues longer than a couple of minutes.
Protect from Freezing
- Look over your outdoor faucets. If you have drips from the faucet you might consider replacing them. Also go ahead and get the faucet covers ready for the first blast of arctic air. Having them ready to use can protect your faucet and outdoor pipes from freezing.
- This is a good time to flush out your water heater. There are plenty of videos online or we can provide the service. Flushing out the water heater helps to remove the sediment and improve the efficiency and longevity of the water heater.
- The chimney and fireplace need to be looked over for any cracks in the mortar of the bricks. Also to ensure the flue is working properly. We highly recommend getting a professional chimney sweep to service and ensure the safety of the fireplace before using
- Smoke alarms need to be tested and if they are battery operated – change the batteries. As we are heating our houses carbon monoxide alarms become important if you are using gas. Take the extra step to check and replace if necessary.
Overall Winter Maintenance
- Ceiling fans can have the direction reversed to help force the warm air back down. Most ceiling fans have a switch on the base to change the direction. Just make sure the fan is off and not turning.
- Clean the gutters from the fall leaves and flush out the gutters with water to ensure they are draining. Inspect the gutters for any leaks. Make sure downspouts are pointing away from the house to prevent flooding and foundation problems.
- Outdoor plants will need to be moved in or covered up. One cold snap can freeze and damage the plants.
- Check for roof shingle damage and trim back limbs from the house. While you are trimming the trees also look for any limbs that are showing signs of being damaged or are dead and remove.
Charlie wants you to have a safe and warm winter and if Enoch Electric, Water, & Air can help, please give us a call 817-953-3181.
P.S. Christmas is coming and so is the Enoch Christmas light show. Stay tuned for more updates.
THIS POST WAS WRITTEN BY: TEAM ENOCH
(817) 888-8880 | mail[at]teamenoch.com
Enoch provides electrical, plumbing and HVAC services to residential and commercial customers in DFW with an emphasis on value (service price, quality).
Subscribe to our newsletter to stay up to date with our latest posts.