Energy use is a major part of the budget for most homes. And a large portion of that energy use goes towards heating water. In fact, according to the United States Department of Energy, almost 20% or the average home’s energy usage is consumed by heating water. If you’re looking to shrink your household budget or want to lower energy usage to limit greenhouse gas emissions (or both!), a great way to start is by lowering the amount of energy used to heat water.
Let’s look at ways we can trim the energy costs associated with water heating. Here are eight strategies you can employ to get the job done.
1- Switch to a Tankless Water Heater
You will need to balance these energy savings with the higher initial cost of a tankless heater. But throughout your heater’s lifespan, you’ll recoup your investment and more in your energy budget.
2- Upgrade to a New Tank-style Water Heater
3- Install a Timer
4- Insulate the Tank and Pipes
5- Install Heat Traps
If you have an older water heater you may be losing hot water through a process called convection, where heat escapes via the cold-water inlet pipes. While most newer water heaters have built-in heat traps, you can have them added if necessary. Consult a plumbing professional to have them evaluate your system.
6- Upgrade Old Appliances
7- Stay on Top of Regular Water Heater Maintenance
8- Change Your Old Habits
Lower your water heater’s thermostat.
Opt for cold water options with your washing machine.
Run your dishwasher when it’s full.
Install water-saving taps and shower-heads.
Consider your habits.
Contact Team Enoch — We’re Ready to Help
Saving money on your water heating bill can be accomplished in many different ways. Some are small changes in habits, while some may require consultation with professional plumbers or contractors. If you need professional help remember getting a quote is free! Our qualified and licensed plumbers are here to help!
Actual Pricing for our best selling model:
40 Gallon Rheem + Installation
40 Gallon Rheem Water Heater + Installation
6 Year Warranty on the Unit
3 Year Warranty on Labor
Includes Installation and Haul Away of Old Unit
High Efficiency of .90 - .93 UEF
Get your new Rheem Water Heater for:
$1195 Garage Installation
$1495 Attic Installation
INSTALLATION AND HAUL-AWAY INCLUDED
View All Features
- High Efficiency of .90 – .93 UEF
- Isolated tank design reduces conductive heat loss
- Resistored copper upper element and resistored Lifeguard™ stainless steel lower element to prolong anode rod and tank life
- High Performance: FHR: 45 – 67 gallons, based on gallon capacity
- Quick Recovery: 21 GPH at a 90° F rise
- Longer Life: Premium grade anode rod provides long-lasting tank protection
- Electric junction box located above heating elements for easy installation
- Over-temperature protector cuts off power in excess temperature situations
- Automatic thermostat keeps water at desired temperature
- EverKleen™ self cleaning device fights harmful sediment build-up with a high-velocity spiraling water stream – helps operating efficiency by saving energy, money and improving tank life
- Enhanced-flow brass drain valve
- Temperature and pressure relief valve included
- Low lead compliant
THIS POST WAS WRITTEN BY: TEAM ENOCH
(817) 888-8880 | mail[at]teamenoch.com
Team Enoch provides electrical, plumbing, roofing and HVAC services to residential and commercial customers in the Dallas / Fort Worth Metro with an emphasis on value (service price, quality).
Need a new water heater?
Get a FREE quote in less than 24 hours.
Subscribe to our newsletter to stay up to date with our latest posts.